Sunday 12 January 2020

Saint Leon Le Montagnard - Dec.23, 1879


St. Leon, Le Montagnard  December 23, 1879

In His Greatness Bishop Tache
Archdiocese of St. Boniface

Monsignor!

After my return to St. Leon, I immediately announced to the population the choice that Your Greatness has done for the locations of the mission buildings.

Everyone seemed satisfied to me when after a fortnight Joseph Charbonneau showed up at my house with a deputation to tell me that he does not want the chosen location, that one must build on his pre-emption, etc. I replied that I did not have the power to make the decisions of Your Greatness, and that if they have any claims, they must address with her.  I was told that since that time a certain Lady; who has only been here for four months, and that I have only seen the office written a long letter to Your Greatness, sign for her in the name of the husband and for other ladies and some men.

I do not know what this lady wrote, but I know that Mr. Joseph Charbonneau is the instigator of the whole thing and that the people who wrote did so only to have a pretext for not giving anything. On the other hand, Monsignor, the good families who support and assist me are very happy with the choice and want to help me with all their power to lift a small building. I have to build, because Mr. Messner is about to arrive, and then or go? Or do the Board? Or to keep the Holy Sacrament?

That's why without listening to the critics of Mr. Charbonneau et al. I made a call to the men of heart, and they will assist me, and came from Mr. Messner I will have a small and poor house, but it is better than the forest. If I don't act like that, we'll still be arguing in ten???, and the lender will not have a home yet. If Your Grandeur ever found If she has to make a change, I ask her to remember that she has the entire Section 12-5-9. This land has advantages that I did not know; but harrassed as I am I have a better look at it and I find:

1. A complex of 960 acres of forest and homestead included;

2. The square is one mile closer to both northwest and south is within the Mission, and only six miles from the Canadian reserve of T.5 R.7; and

3. Lots of unoccupied land all around, where you can place Catholic families. The only inconvenient is that there are no neighbors now, and that the place is two miles from the site where you want to found the village.

That is why I am the advice only in such circumstances as was given to me by my superior general in Rome 22 years ago: He said three words to me: Pray, confide, and face. I did, I survived, and I hope to succeed again.

I suffer a lot from the cold. Since Mr. Messner's house was built late, it became a glacier, which I cannot heat; and since I have to do my own managing, I suffer from deprivation. So I feel that courage is not enough, and that my health is declining and I am sure that if I continue to quarrel she will not be able to resist.

R. P. Theobald Bitsche.
In Precious Blood

1 comment:

  1. Dear Deborah, Would it be possible to read the original French poem by Charles Lafrenière that you posted years ago?

    ReplyDelete