Tuesday 7 January 2020

Saint Leon Le Montagnard, Oct. 2, 1879


Saint Leon Le Montagnard


October 2, 1879

Two new post offices just prepared on the west coast of the Red River, one at Pointe Coupee, Mr. Louis Lacerte, master of the post office; and the other at St-Pie, Mr. F. Gentes, postmaster. Mr. Dewe, a post inspector, also established several of them at the Pembina Mountain, one of which was in St-Leon; the post manager is Mr. (Olivier) Lafreniere. He has also set up one on the Riviere-aux-Rats, currently entrusts Mr. Martin Jerome,
(THE MÉTIS)

Saint-Leon, 9 October 1879 -
St Leon of Township 4 row 9 west  has become an important place. The post office is established there, and a missionary zeal, Rev. M. Bitsche is currently organizing his parish and building his presbyterian church, etc..  M. Lafreniere, is an energetic man, intelligent and active postmaster.
St-Leon is the nucleus of one of the most successful French-Canadian establishments. We already see a shop, a blacksmith's shop, etc., and before long the construction of a mill will make the place really advantageous.


Saint Leon, 28 October 1879

Monsignor!

Since I had the honor of writing to Your Greatness, I have sought to know more about the number of families I have been aware of so far:

1. St. Leon - about 50 families. We expect more.

2. Boyne settlement 30 miles northeast of St Leon, 10 Canadian families and more Métis in the area, there are several children who are not baptized. I told them that they were coming for me, but no one came here.

3. French Settlement, 5-7-, has 16 miles from St-Leon and halfway to Boyne Settlement, 4 families, but we expect a dozen more. I can go to these two places at any time.

4. In the shores of Rock Lake, 50 miles southwest of St- Leon, there are 11 families of Métis. I baptized a child, but there are several others to baptize. I promised to go and see them if they would come and get me. In addition to these four nuclei, there are families everywhere, so that the total number of Catholic families can be estimated more than one hundred and twenty.

There are mainly Irish families, who, for fear of persecution, do not dare to show themselves before knowing other Catholics. If I had a horse, I would go looking for these poor people, but I can't do it on foot.

Mr. Messner's construction is almost complete, and I expect to be able to enter in a fortnight. I now have a bed good enough for a poor missionary; I have so far made two chairs; I'll make myself another table and an altar this week. All I need now is a pan to make the chapel; I don't know where I can remit the necessary money.

It's a little hard at first, but you have to suffer something to get to heaven. My health is good. So far the weather is beautiful, The fire has wreaked havoc in the vicinity, but our people have not yet suffered.

It is believed that Mr. Messner cannot come this winter because of indisposition, but he hopes to be able to come with several families around the spring.

                                                                J. Theobald Bitsche

Deborah's note:  Olivier Lafreniere is the son of ANTOINE LAFRENIERE - see blog post July 13, 2012 for background.

No comments:

Post a Comment